Following is a recipe that takes the flavors of pimento cheese and bakes them into a classic mac and cheese. The basis of this recipe is one that I have used over and over and it always pleases. But here I decided to add some additional flavors by adding minced pepperdaws and a small amount (1Tbs.) of minced shallot. The pepperdaws are a little more aggressive in flavor than the standard pimentos but since this is a baked dish I needed the flavor and texture to stand up to the heat.
This recipe as well as the basic (without the pimentos or shallot) is very easy to put together without having to make the bechamel that some mac and cheese recipes call for. Where I like the bechemel version as well, the convenience and ease of this is hard to beat.
Pimento Cheese Mac and Cheese Recipe
1 8oz. Package of Macaroni
2 Cups of Milk or Half and Half
2-3 Cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Cup Chopped Pepperdaws
1 Tbs. Minced Shallot
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add macaroni and cook until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Mix milk or half and half together with the three eggs. Add the chopped Pepperdaws and Shallot and Salt. Mix well.
3. Butter a 9″ x 9″ baking dish and add a layer of the cooked macaroni and the 1/2 the grated cheese. Add the rest of the macaroni and then pour the milk and egg mixture over the macaroni and cheese.
4. Finish by evenly distributing the rest of the grated cheese over the top of the dish.
5. Bake in a 350° degree oven for 35-40 minutes until slightly browned.